Kris Aquino diaries: Her last days with President Cory (Part 4 of 5)

The week prior to former President Cory’s death, a former political foe was allowed to visit and Kris was able to fulfill her last and most important promise to her mother.

“From July 27 to 29, she was defying all medical science. They were telling us [na] dapat at this point, kidneys are shutting down. Dapat at this point, mas erratic na yung heart. [But] she was holding on. Ganun ka-strong yung heart ng mom.

“I want to share this because I respect this man so much now. Nakiusap si President Erap [Joseph Estrada] sa pamilya kung pwede siyang dumalaw. And people close to both our families said [na] okay lang sa kanila, pero kung pwede, tahimik na lang.

“And he understood. Dumaan siya sa basement. Umikot siya. And when media asked him kung nakausap niya ang mom or kung nakapasok siya, he said, ‘Nilabas lang ako ni Noy at Kris.’ That’s not true. We allowed him inside but I think he wanted to give our family that privacy.

“And I want to say thank you for that because ayaw niyang malagay sa alanganin ang pamilya. Na mabigyan ng political color. But the fact that he chose to say it that way, made me appreciate him so much.

“He told me, ‘Alam mo, Kris, yung first conversation namin ng mom mo nung bago akong senador at presidente siya, tinanong niya ako, ‘Senator, do you think okay lang na payagan kong mag-artista si Kris?’

“And then sinabi niya raw sa mom na, ‘Maganda naman po [si Kris.] Mukha naman pong may talent. At mukhang gusto siya ng tao. Payagan n’yo na po.’

“That was the first time he shared that story with me. And I just told him, ‘You’ve been so good to mom. Quietly, you’ve been so good.’

“Mom was one of those who attended the forefront na ma-oust siya. But sa kanya [Erap], he reached out. Almost linggo-linggo may pagkain siyang pinapadala.

“Lumaki yung respeto ko kasi nirespeto niya kami bilang pamilya.

“When mom needed a friend, he was a friend.

“July 30, [Thursday]. I texted Tita Cory Vidanes, I texted Deo and said, ‘I think mom’s holding on kasi hindi pa tayo okay. Please come. Let’s put this behind us. I know you love me and I’m sorry. And I’d like you to be able to talk to mom to reassure her.’

“[So,] dumating si Tita Cory at si Deo. Immediately [ay] nakausap nila ang mom.

“And I want to say thank you. I want to say thank you to my ABS-CBN family for all of these. Thank you for the tribute, thank you for the hard work… thank you for giving my mom so much importance.

“Thank you for understanding me.

“[And] thank you for making us feel na family tayo talaga.

“July 31, [Friday]. [It was] 11 am [nuong] nag-start mag-fluctuate yung vital signs ng mom. They have to change the machine kasi they thought baka something is wrong with the machine because the heart-rate, parang magju-jump ng 130, babagsak sa 70, magna-90. Para talagang roller coaster na hindi mo maintindihan.

“So, I called Noy. I said, ‘Noy, I think you should come.’

“[At] 4 pm, we had mass. Nabuo lahat ng kapatid ni mom. Her two older siblings, my Uncle Pete and my Auntie Jo came. Uncle Joe and Auntie Passy were there.

“[At] 11 pm, nagalisan na yung iba, and I said, magsi-siesta ako and I’m setting my alarm to 3 in the morning para 3 onwards, ako [ang magbantay].

“After midnight nagalisan yung iba because sinabing mukhang okay na, nag-stabilize na.

“[August 1, Saturday]. At 2:30 am, ginising kami. Sinabi [na] parang iba na.

“Alam mo, yung before there would be peaks. [Pero] ganun pala yun as you’re nearing death, nagiging parang hills. Nawawala yung peak, nagiging pabilog until lumalaki nang lumalaki yun.

“So, Ate said, ‘Let’s start praying.’ Nagbihis ako, naghilamos ako. We were praying the rosary. Nagsimula kami with Joyful hanggang Sorrowful.

“Yung last mystery ng Sorrowful, dun nag-umpisa na talagang pahina ng pahina [ang heart rate].

“Nag-flatline after we said the Memorare. Because at that moment, she breathe her last breath.

“It was so peaceful. And that was all we’re praying for at ibinigay sa amin. It was such a peaceful and quiet death.

“And the rest [of the family] arrived as it was flatlining. And then Father [Catalino] Arevalo arrived and said mass. I did not join the mass because I promised mom – and sabi ko – ‘Mom to the very end I’m staying with you.’

“I was there when they…there’s a procedure in the hospital. When you do the death procedure, may mga kemikal na pinapahid. May tinatali duon sa paa, yung identification. May body bag, ipapasok there.

“I told her, ‘Mom, hanggang sa dulo. [And] I promise you, mom…I’m gonna make sure habang nagvi-viewing ang mga tao you’ll look good.’

“I don’t know where I found the strength. But the whole time talaga, I stayed put. Umupo ako sa loob habang ineembalsama siya. Ine-explain sa akin nung mga taga-Heritage what was going on. I made sure na dumating si Juan Sarte to do the make-up, si Lowell to fix her hair, si Paul Cabral pinatawagan ko para yung damit. And everything came together.

“I was able to kiss her. I was able to promise her there na, ‘Mom, I’m gonna really try my best to be good.’

“Ang sabi ko, ‘I told you I would never leave. I’m still here. I promise you, Mom, na ako ang mag-te-thank you sa lahat.”

Source: http://ph.yahoo.com

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Philippines Celebrity. Design by Pocket